I was reading my freshly-delivered issue of the June GQ this afternoon when I stumbled across a wonderful little blurb on page 98. It was titled “8 Ways Bonnaroo Is Better Than Coachella,” and I love it. Here it is…
“8 Ways Bonnaroo Is Better Than Coachella: How did Nashville’s Bonnaroo festival become the best ticket in music?“
GQ Magazine, June 2006, p. 98
1. Unlike Coachella’s bone-dry desert, Bonnaroo’s lush Tennessee forest makes it easy to hide, smoke the weed.
2. Chance that Bonnaroo performer Ben Folds will bring noted singer William Shatner.
3. Bonnaroo VIP areas not overrun with The OC cast members trying to “kick it on the DL, indie-rock-style.”
4. Bonnaroo’s ex-junkies (Steve Earle) can beat up Coachella’s ex-junkies (lead-singer guy from Depeche Mode).
5. Coachella dance tent will feature Madonna, shitty trance music; Bonnaroo “dance tent” is three Evergreen sophomores grooving to “Dark Star.”
6. Bonnaroo’s Dr. John slightly more comprehensible than Coachella fave Sigur RÃ³s.
7. Absence of luxury spa hotels in Manchester region will limit presence of top-level music executives.
8. “Bonnaroo” more fun to say.